Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Candied Ginger

I was astonished by the cost difference in straight ginger root and crystallized ginger. Appalled, even. So when I needed some for a recipe (see Peach Pie), I took out the pound or so of fresh ginger root and decided to make some candied ginger myself.
It ended up being a super sensuous experience. I never knew how aromatic and lovely boiling ginger could be. It is was beyond easy too. So now I don't have to justify that overpriced stuff at the store. I can just make it at home in about 30 min.
To make crystallized ginger:
Slice thin strips of ginger (I cut against the grain). Cut 1 pound at minimum.
Put in a heavy pot and cover with water. Set to boil and then turn heat to medium boil once it starts to roll.
After 30 minutes, the ginger should become clear and at this point drain the excess water. Add an equivalent amount of sugar to ginger (I added 1.5 cups). Add about 3 tbsp of water for each 2 cups of ginger. Put back on the heat and simmer at a medium to medium low heat.



Stir constantly as the sugar forms a paste on the ginger. Once the sugar paste is nearly dry on the ginger (no water unsolidified), spread out onto a wax paper to dry.


At this point, I had a rock sugar coating on my ginger. This was perfect for me. Eating the warm sugary ginger slices was like eating a piece of pure nectar. I had to stop myself when I started noticing my belly felt like it was full of fire!
I am not sure if there is a better way to not have the rock sugar effect. Perhaps use less sugar? Or cook for less time? Either way, I was happy with the result and so is my pie.

3 comments:

  1. I'm a big ginger fan and this is a great idea. I'm going to try it...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just don't go overboard like I did and eat more than 4 still-warm, delicious slices. The heat is intense!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent idea to make your own candied ginger. Have you also pickled it (like the Japanese style)? If so, I look forward to seeing a post.

    -Elizabeth

    (Found this post via Taste TO's blog-a-log)

    ReplyDelete