Monday, May 25, 2009

Welcome to Spring, aka. Smoothie Season

Hello! It's officially spring here in Toronto: the sun is shining, everyone seems to be walking or biking, spending time in the garden and on decks. So in honor of the warmer weather, I am bringing smoothies back into my diet. I steered clear for the winter months because of the cold, and opted for more warming foods. My days are usually quite busy, so I tend to eat some fruit or trail mix (see Superfood article below), and then take time out with friends to prepare and share the evening meal together. Now, especially with get-up-and-go mornings, I am desiring something quick and easy to bring with me to work in the morning, but also nutritionally viable and exciting. Here's the first installment of Daily Smoothie Recipe:

Chocolate Pear Banana Blitz
(all organic ingredients, if possible)
1 banana
1 sliced pear
handful of raw cashews
4 dates (pitted)
2 tbsp raw cacao powder
1/2 c. Vitacoco
1/4 c. water, as needed

Blend together until smooth and enjoy with a spoon - yum!

I am going in to the office, so I thought I should probably bring something just in case I need a snack to tide me over til dinner. So, I quickly put together a few things we had in the fridge for an easy salad. It's surprisingly delicious, although really simple. Usually I do not use oil or vinegar, but would use lemon/lime and maybe Braggs or Nama Shoyu, but I am using what we already had in the cabinets and not being too picky.

Tomato Cucumber Salad
7 cherry tomatoes, quartered
4 in. of English cucumber, halved and sliced
sliced white onion, to taste
1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
few dashes of toasted sesame oil
dash balsamic vinegar
Sea salt & pepper
(experiment with other spices as well: fresh mint, dill, or cilantro add nice zest)
Put all into container with lid and shake. Voila! Easy, transportable lunch or snack.

What are your favorite smoothie or salad recipes for rushed days?

No comments:

Post a Comment