Saturday, May 30, 2009

Adventures in Meals pt. 1

The weekend. What could be a more perfect phenomenon? We spend all week building up to it, and then, if the Fates be with us, are able to undo our ribbons and completely unwind.
But this doesn't always happen does it?
There are dates and meetings to keep; chores to do; catching up on sleep (if lucky); keeping up with hobbies. Understandably, this scenario lends itself to grab-and-go meals and eating quickly while on the run.

In my house, we generally assume Friday night to be the "eat out" dinner of the week. It's just too much to do grocery shopping and plan a meal sometimes. Yesterday was no exception. But, instead of eating dinner out we started out the day by going for coffee at a cafe, followed by lunch at a French bistro, and returning home well after 9p for a "make what's in the fridge" dinner. Normally, I would eat raw during the day, but when work demands that I have breakfast and lunch meetings, I tend to be more lenient.

I thought I'd include some neat pictures we took of our adventures yesterday. First, we went to Dark Horse (Spadina & Queen location). This is my new favorite place in general, and I was thrilled when they opened up a second location right across from my office building. They only take cash for now, and have been packed the last 3 times I have visited. I like seeing a thriving coffee shop, it tells me that Dark Horse is able to do something right, and people are recognizing that.

There are some differences to the East end location: for one, the West DH has a second level that is mostly 2-3 chairs around little coffee tables, ideal if you are there to read or meet someone. The West DH also has 2 (!) communal tables and well high ceilings to give a very industrial-meets-french villa feel. I love the big, wooden community tables more than anything. Even if I am there alone, I know I can chat someone up and feel like perhaps Toronto doesn't exclusively embody stand-offish behaviour.

If you are going to Dark Horse for the first time, I highly recommend you get a latte. They really know how to create a perfect microfoam and pull a smooth espresso. Not to mention that every latte is topped by art - a technique of pouring the foam into the espresso such that it creates a pattern, sometimes a leaf or a heart.
They don't brew drip coffee, so if you want a "regular" cup of coffee, it's going to be an Americano (espresso diluted with hot water), which I would put to you is the best "regular" cup of coffee you will ever have.



We also brought a cappucino back for a co-worker (who is a Lettieri/Starbux exclusive) and he said it was the best capp he'd ever had. "It tastes somehow earthier." I don't know if he was being facetious based on the eco-cup (compostable, bio-degradable), or the fact that it is Fair Trade coffee beans. Either way, I have converted most of my co-workers to DH fans.

Another nice thing to try, especially if you're going to sit for awhile, is the French Press. It's a personal Bodum that produces about 2 cups of coffee. They also offer tea presses, which look really lovely.
As far as snacks go, Dark Horse offers homemade granola and sheep's milk yogurt. They also get treats from "Industrial Muffin." I recommend the carrot or the zucchini - fresh, just the right sweetness, but with plenty of texture like a muffin should have (muffins should not have the texture of cake).
We tried a Raspberry-Coconut Oat bar that was dense and not too sweet, but had a kind of flapjack texture. Actually, if I were in England, I think that's exactly what this would be.



Let me know what your thoughts are; in other reviews, I know people have expressed dislike for the communal table-vibe, the highest ratio of Macbooks to people, the price. But I can say that I am happy to pay more for a smiling barista; a open, social environment; and a really good espresso.


(More to follow ... lunch at a French Bistro!)

No comments:

Post a Comment